Tuesday, January 8, 2008

8 January -- Does My Sacrifice Live?

(click the link above for the entry from My Utmost for His Highest)

Additional Scriptures: Genesis 22:9 ... No more, I'm dead tired.

Okay ... that sounds like a lame excuse, but I am tired. Stayed up to watch Leno last night. Not my usual activity (rEVOLution, baby ;-), but again, it correlates perfectly with today's devotion.

The concept of our lives as a living sacrifice is amazingly simple for me to grasp (application is another thing). Abraham did not bring his son, Isaac, already dead to the alter. No, both Abraham and Isaac were well aware of what was being asked and came willingly. His sacrifice was not in the death of Isaac, but in the life he freely gave with all the actions leading up to that moment. I love Genesis 22:2-3 (okay, I found another scripture ;-) when Abraham is commanded to sacrifice Isaac, what is his next move? Did he tell Sarah, "Can you believe what God asked me to do?" Did he bargain with the Lord, "Um, come on, God, can we wait until after the harvest? I really need Isaac's help." No, the living sacrifice began with action, steps taken in the trust of God.

** Oh, look at the time ... I have to get ready for work ... I'll finish later ... maybe I should get to bed earlier at night ... yeah, this is going to have something to do with this post today ;-) **

No comments: