Tuesday, January 15, 2008

15 January -- Do You Walk In White?

Additional Scriptures: Topical Guide, Walking with God

Well, I posted yesterday's devotion about an hour ago. Now I'm back for more. The reason I'm even posting at all is because of a quote at the bottom of an email I received today.

Thank God every day when you get up that you have something to do that day which must be done whether you like it or not. Being forced to work and forced to do your best will breed in you temperance and self-control, diligence and strength of will, cheerfulness and content, and a hundred virtues which the idle will never know. --Basil Carpenter

Sometimes I do not like blogging about this stuff ... I do not like reading the devotions and having to think about the responsibility of the knowledge I gain. Now that I know this stuff, I will have to do something about it eventually.

Actually, I think God wants us to do it NOW. Chambers challenges in his devotion today, "Do you agree with Him that this is your last day on earth?" Um, no! And that's the problem.

We have been challenged in today's devotion to give up our old self, to die with Christ so that we can live again. We do talk a good game, don't we? We talk of this concept a great deal, but are we really prepared to act upon it? Are we prepared to make this our last day on earth because we have died to the facade we put together for the world?

I'm going to have to tell you ... I'm not quite ready. I think of funerals in my family and think of the fun and joy we share at that time of passing. We remember the person that was and rejoice in where we believe they are going. But what of us here and now? I don't think I'm ready to remember the person I "was" and look forward to the person I will "become."

No comments: