Tuesday, January 1, 2008

1 January 2008 -- Let Us Keep to the Point

(click the link above to read the January 1 entry from My Utmost for His Highest)

Additional Scriptures: Psalms 119:116, Romans 5:5, Psalms 34:3, JSH 1:5-14, JSH 1:15-21, JSH 1:25

The one overarching feeling I have for 2008 is hope, and today's message is absolutely about hope and determination and decision.

As we make the statement in our own lives "my utmost for his highest," we often do so with just a hope that the choice we have made is right and true. Yet, if we qualify that choice with any hint of doubt, then we diminish the potential we have in Christ. Not only do we diminish our potential, but we, in reality, question the very plan of God. The hope He wants from us should not be surrounded by the darkness of doubt, but illuminated by the truth of the Holy Ghost and the spotlighted by the Light of Christ.

I am personally determined to spend this entire year working through these devotions and study daily. (Note to my teachers at church: Yes, I will still study my lesson each week, too.) I am aware that with that public statement, I've also announced that I'm prepared for a crossroads or crisis. We humans are too busy with the world today to hear the still, small voice of the Lord (school, work, kids, spouse ... American Idol ;-) So, gloriously, I am going to face a challenge this year, and as I reflect, I realize that almost every significant moment of spiritual growth has been preceded by a crossroads or crisis. The great thing about the recognition is that the challenge need not be difficult or painful or sad -- provided my hope is enveloped in Light. The thought of this challenge brings a smile to my face and joy -- the fabulously bursting bright kind of joy -- to my heart.

Paul was a supernal example of determination. As Chambers points out, Paul did, in fact, face a crossroad, a crisis (on the road to Damascus, see Acts 9) and made his decision to stand with Christ. His entire life, from that moment on, was dedicated to doing exactly what God wanted him to do. As I read and pondered that, another person came to mind -- Joseph Smith. He, too, came to a crossroads as a young boy of 14 and made a decision to pray and ask God what to do (JSH 1:5-14). The absolute key to the story is that Joseph Smith, in that moment (JSH 1:15-21), decided once and for all to surrender his will to Jesus Christ (JSH 1:25).

Have you come to your crossroads? Which path have you taken that has shaped your relationship with Christ? Are you ready to say "my utmost for His highest" with hope, determination and steadfast decision?

2 comments:

Jason said...

Just added your blog to my RSS feeds!

Jason said...

by the way make sure to visit:
http://web.mac.com/jepoole