Sunday, January 13, 2008

12-13 January --Have You Ever Been Alone With God?

See also: 13 January

Additional Scriptures: Mosiah 2-5

Have you ever been alone with God? I think sometimes that I don't want to be. We are so small and puny in comparison. We hang onto the silliest of things -- stuff, envy, pride, event downright sin. Why? Why don't we want to give the stuff up?

Well, I think there are times we just don't want to (pride again I guess) because we like it -- whatever "it" is. Our closet full of clothes (that we don't wear) or our big house (that we struggle to make the payments on) or the fancy car (that we are afraid to drive because it get damaged) make us feel better about ourselves.

Ah, but that's it. We don't even understand what God has in store for us. That's all part of Satan's plan isn't it. Keep us distracted by shiny objects and we won't focus on the beauty right in front of us. We can't really. If we keep ourselves focused on the cracker jack toys that the adversary hands over, we can never be alone with God.

Has there ever been a time when you've lost something, not because you really misplaced it, but because there is so much junk laying around -- junk that looks mighty similar to the thing you are looking for, I might add -- that it's impossible to find the lost item. I have. I remember when we moved a few years ago. We took seven trailers or van loads of garbage to the dump. I went though every item! I cannot count how many times I said, "Oh, I've been looking for this," only to follow it up with "Why was I looking for this?" It ended up in the trash!

Well, why don't we say, "Oh, I've been looking for this," when we speak of our relationship with God and Jesus? We could really mean it too. If we were willing to truly be alone, without our stuff, without our pride, just us and the Lord. Are you ready to take that step? I'm not sure I'm ready, but I'm willing to try ... I think.

No comments: