Wednesday, January 30, 2008

30 January - The Dilemma of Obedience

I have to say that I usually don't look at a challenge, crisis or chastening as an opportunity to say, "I'm listening, Lord." I'm quite often running the other direction and ducking for cover, or railing against God and His silly plan. But today, I had a small challenge at work that last week I would have taken completely personally, whined and complained (even if only to myself) and sulked like a two year old. But this time, I stopped and said, "What's my opportunity here?" Not quite the same as "Yes, Lord," but getting there. Because today, I didn't harbor any ill will and was frustrated for only a few moments instead of days (yes, really, days). I was able to let go because I truly, for one moment at least, stepped outside of the situation and saw it from a different perspective.

I guess that's what we have to remember about Jesus. He is outside our perspective. He looks at us -- knowing perfectly all we are going through -- and watches our circumstances unfold. Sometimes, I'm sure He is crushed by our actions and choice ... other times, I bet He cracks up, just laughs Himself silly! But He isn't likely to translate us to another city when times get a bit rough. No, we have to experience our experiences and learn to look at them from outside ourselves too. Someone once said, if we want to improve ourselves to spend time with more successful people than ourselves. Well, wouldn't it be much better to spend our time with the three most successful Beings ever -- God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost?

So when we start spending time with Them, we will get to know Them. As we get to know Them, we will hear Them more, and we will want to share our new knowledge and insight with others. Don't be surprised if no one else gets it. It's like being the only one that hears the music, faintly in the background. You know it's there, but no one else can hear it. It's most frustrating too when you want to tell people what you've learned, but they are not ready or able to understand it. The point is that we have to talk anyway ... some one WILL get it eventually, even if it's only ourselves!

No comments: