Saturday, January 5, 2008

5 January -- The Afterward of the Life of Power

(click the link above to read the entry from My Utmost for His Highest)

Additional Scriptures: John 13:36, Matthew 26:69-75, John 20:22 (20:10-23), John 21:19 (21:15-19), Luke 2:52

So what resolutions have you made for this year? I bet you have a wonderful list full of important and good things to do in 2008. The more interesting question to ask is -- What resolutions did you keep from last year? Oh, no, even better -- What resolutions did you NOT keep from last year? Why?

I think about what goals I would like to accomplish in the coming year for most of the month of December. That laser focus probably comes because I'm spending most of the month the December trying to finish as many of the goals from the previous year as possible. And I don't take the process lightly -- at least I thought I didn't. I use Luke 2:52 as my guide and pick at least two goals that will strengthen my wisdom, stature, spirituality and sense of service. Last year, I completed at least one goal in each, but this year -- actually today -- I have a completely different perspective on my goals for 2008.

We talked about Peter yesterday; we continue today. His life with Christ illustrates that reality all must face when making a decision to walk with Christ -- the decision to follow Him. When someone comes to the gospel for the first time, begins to exercise your faith and feels the unmatchable power of God, it is all so delicious (Alma 32: 28) and glorious and fun! The excitement is unmatched. I enjoy being with the newly baptized because they are on FIRE with the love of Christ. They have finally found what they are looking for so you better just get out of the way!

There are others I know of that are deeply committed to the Lord. These have spent years in their walk and have surrendered their very lives to the Christ. They too have a fire burning within them that is steady and sure. You can literally see Christ in them (Alma 5:14) because they have been spiritually reborn and have truly felt the Spirit come upon them.

But what of the time in between. Peter had the same experience, but his was compressed to just three years. When he left his boat to follow Jesus (Matthew 4:18-20), he left willingly, but with the excitement of the newness of the relationship. Little did Peter know that all his growth -- his professions of faith (Matthew 16:16) and his impetuous statement of devotion (John 13:27) -- would be met with three broken commitments and cursing as the cock finally crowed.

Redemption was near, available, even if Peter didn't quite understand how. Yes, the night of His Resurrection, Christ gave them the gift of the Holy Ghost, but there was more to come for Peter. The third time Jesus showed himself to the disciples, the Lord asked Peter -- three times -- "lovest though me?" Three times Peter had the opportunity to declare to the Lord, "Yes." This time, when Jesus said "Follow me," Peter's answer was with his whole, complete, broken self. Peter never looked back, only forward at one single principle, interest and ambition -- Jesus Christ.

Well, where are you on this journey? Are you at the exciting beginning, the crossroads or are you focused on the lodestar of Christ? That's why my perspective of my goals have changed. I'm not sure that I've ever had to face the denial of Christ, but I want to be prepared if that comes. The details of Peter's experience helps us prepare for that possibility and focus now on Christ. I want my goals to be guided by the Star that shows the way.

No comments: