Tuesday, February 5, 2008

5 February - Are You Ready To Be Offered?

I have been really struggling lately. Oh, I'm not sure struggling is the correct term. Wondering might be better. Wondering about my place in this world. Time is so short and getting shorter ... what am I doing with my life. And then I read today's message and realize that what I want to be doing doesn't really matter.

Now, I'm not saying that I don't have talents ... I'm definitely good at a few things ;-) and could be good at probably many things. But as I look at the lives that have been brought to the forefront in these past few days (Hinckley, Monson, Eyring, Uchtdorf to name a few), I think of men who did not think about all the things they were "good at" -- ever. I cannot imagine President Monson ever thinking "Man, I'm really good at story telling. That's what I'm going to be known for in my Church service -- parables and stories -- that's the ticket." Egad! That mind boggles with that concept, doesn't it?

"Are you ready to be not so much as a drop in a bucket - to be so hopelessly insignificant that you are never thought of again in connection with the life you served?" Am I ready for that? I don't know if I'm ready for that, but I truly believe that is the answer to my wondering. For example, I've been so concerned about my place at work -- why am I not being utilized for all the great things that I "bring to the table" -- but really, does any of that matter? Not in the context of true service (even service at work) because our lives must be lived not just for Jesus Christ but through Him, doing the things that He would have us do.

No comments: